Screens are a huge part of our day, and collective screen time has sky-rocketed in the past two years. While our online connections provide us with a world at our fingertips and a plethora of modern conveniences, they can also disconnect us from the value of real life experiences.
Next level wellness includes all facets of self care, including rests and breaks. Taking an intermittent “fast” from screens, work, and social media can improve your well-being and help you reconnect with what’s important.
Disconnecting is easier said than done, however. These steps can help you go offline and re-engage with yourself, as well as the people you care about.
- Schedule a phone break - Pick a time, ideally each day, to turn the phone completely off. For example, turn your phone off during dinner and turn it back on only after you’ve had time to eat mindfully and enjoy the people you’re with.
- Breathe - Even stepping away from screens for a minute or two to focus on deep breathing can calm your nerves and reduce stress.
- Go outdoors - Engaging with nature - whether it’s running on a trail, having a picnic in a park, or enjoying a garden - is grounding and rejuvenating.
- Schedule a meet up - we all have friends we keep meaning to get together with but time keeps flying. Make it a priority to finally catch up in real life.
- Go analog - pick a night to be media free, and cozy up with a good book or find an offline activity to do with family and friends.
- Set expectations - let people in your life know that you sometimes unplug from your phone and other devices. When people are used to you responding immediately, it can put pressure on you to always be available.
- Get moving - engage in some screen-free exercise, preferably outdoors.
- Rediscover a hobby - choose an evening or weekend to unplug, and dust off a hobby you used to love.
- Stretch out - screens keep people in awkward positions and poor postures. Taking frequent stretch breaks can relax your muscles, improve circulation, and even help you sleep.
- Close your eyes - we’re bombarded with sights and sounds throughout the day. Take a minute or two to rest your eyes when you’re online. Even better, take some time to close your eyes for meditation and quiet.
The calming benefits of CBD can also help you disconnect. The more relaxed you are, the easier it is to follow any or all of these steps.
And on that note, take a moment to breathe, close your eyes, or stretch!